History & Mission
The Louis S. Wolk Jewish Community Center of Greater Rochester is proud of its more than 100 years of providing programs and services to our community.
The Jewish Community Center of Greater Rochester celebrated its 100th year of providing programs and services to our community in 2007. Starting with its first home on Franklin Square in 1907, then to the Andrews Street Building in the 1930's, and finally to Edgewood Avenue in 1973, the story of the JY/JCC is a testimonial to the vision of our founders. The Jewish Community Center of today embodies a proud and exciting history. Few people in the Jewish community are without some connection to the JCC. It is a place where Jews and non-Jews of all ages and backgrounds, affiliations and practices, come together, and learn, play, and grow.
The mission of the JCC is to strengthen Jewish identity and promote Jewish continuity through all stages of life.
This is accomplished in an environment that provides opportunities for meaningful cultural enrichment, physical well being and social, educational and recreational experiences for individuals and families.
The JCC of Greater Rochester will be relevant to every member of our Jewish community.