JCC CenterStage Auditions
by Darrah Cloud
Auditions: Sunday, December 14 at 6pm and Monday, December 15 at 7pm
Rehearsals begin: February 1 (There will be a read thru in January)
Performances: March 14-29, 2015
New York Premiere - This whimsically innovative reinterpretation of Thorton Wilder's Our Town moves the action from fictional Grover's Corners to the very real Skokie, Illinois in 1977. As neighboring families prepare for Christmas and Hanukkah, two teenagers fall in love, and the world is about to give everyone a serious dose of reality.
ROLES FOR 5 Women and 4 Men ages 16-70, including one African American male.
Directed by Kerry Young
The show is being offered for school performances and actors will receive additional compensation for each additional performances.
Please be familiar with the script and roles. Auditions will be reading from the script. Please email or stop by the JCC for a reading copy. This script is not yet published so you can only get a copy from us.
Into the Woods
Music and Lyrics by Stephen Sondheim; Book by James Lapine
Auditions: January 12 and 13 (call backs Jan 14th) see below....
Rehearsals: Start March 2015
Performances: May 2-17, 2015
Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood and Rupunzel are just a few of your favorite storybook characters that collide in one epic adventure. Wishes will be granted, but when there are witches and giants about, "happily ever after" is not always the end of the story. Delightfully humorous and beautifully poignant, this Sondheim masterpiece is not a kids' story, but an entertaining look at the consequences of "I wish."
Please come with a prepared song from a Sondheim musical (other than "Into the Woods") or in a Sondheim style (ie: no Rogers and Hammerstein). A second song is encouraged. Accompanist provided. No dance audition.
To avoid long waits, auditioners are asked to reserve a specific time slot in advance:
Mon 1/12: 6-7pm, 7-8pm, or 8-9pm
Tues 1/13: 6-7pm, 7-8pm, or 8-9pm
For cast list with vocal ranges and approx ages, click HERE. Some roles will be doubled including Mysterious Man/Narrator/Cinderella's Father, Prince/Wolf, Cinderella's Stepmother/Grandmother
Directed by Ralph Meranto, Vocal Direction by Brian Clickner
General Information for all JCC Auditions:
- For musicals, come prepared to sing 32 bars of a prepared song. Accompanist provided. Please bring sheet music in the correct key. We suggested you select a song appropriate to the style of the production. Please dress prepared for a dance audition as well. No bare feet. The audition will start with a dance audition for all audition candidates. Then, each person, will since their song in the order in which they arrived.
- Auditions for plays will involve reading from the script. It is suggested you have read the script in advance and are familiar with the characters/context. Most scripts available by email upon request.
- Rehearsals are evenings and weekends, 3-5 days per week depending on the production. Please bring a list of all rehearsal conflicts. We try to work around minimal conflicts if identified at auditions.
- Adult performers are paid a stipend which varies by show and role. SummerStage performers are not paid, but there is no fee to enroll in SummerStage. It is an open audition.
- JCC CenterStage auditions are open to all performers regardless of race or religion. We practice color-blind casting whenever possible. You do not need to be a JCC member to participate.
- Call backs (when needed) are generally the day after the open auditions.